Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
The normal study pattern is one year full-time over 3-4 days, including evenings and could include Saturdays.
What will I study?
The aim of this qualification is to build on your knowledge and practice, develop your practical skills and prepare for work.
The programme content includes:
- Working in the hair industry
- Following Health and Safety practices in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampooing and conditioning the hair and scalp
- Cutting women's hair
- The art of dressing hair
- Colouring and lightening hair
- Perming and neutralising hair
- Promoting products and services to clients in the salon
- Salon reception duties
- Creating an image on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- Home study/revision
- Competition work
- Work experience/work placement
- Employability skills
- Certificate in Contact Dermatitis
- Visits to Wella in Manchester
How will I be assessed?
Assessment consists of practical observations on paying clients, questioning, written questions, assignments, projects and written tests online. You will be required to provide some of your own models. Assessment will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction.
What could it lead to?
Hairdressing Diploma VRQ Level 3 for one year, or you could follow an apprenticeship route and study the Hairdressing Diploma NVQ Level 2 (two year course).
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 2
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 3
- Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 3
- Introduction to the Beauty and Media Sector NVQ Certificate Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Introduction to the Hair Sector Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 3