Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
What will I study?
In the first year you will complete the Extended Certificate in ICT. This qualification helps provide all of our Level 3 students with a good grounding in the information systems and technologies that underpin all modern computer applications, ranging from desktop, to web, to smartphone, to the exciting new areas of robotics and the internet of things. This qualification is equivalent to one A Level.
For this qualification you will study the following units:
- Information Technology Systems
- Creating Systems to Manage Information
- Using Social Media in Business
- Website Development
In addition you will complete two further units for the National Diploma in Computing which you will complete in the second year. The first year units for the diploma are:
- Principles of Computer Science
- Building Computer Systems
In the second year you will complete the units necessary to achieve the National Diploma in Computing. At this point you will be able to choose between three exciting pathways depending on your personal interests and skills.
Pathway 1 – Creative Computing
One of the biggest growth areas in national and local industries is digital and creative technologies. The National Diploma in Computing for Creative Industries is designed to support learners who are looking to develop a career in this exciting and fast moving sector. Focusing on a range of more creative aspects of modern computing, this qualification is equivalent in size to two A Levels. On this pathway you will study the following units:
- Planning and Management of Computing Projects
- IT Systems Security
- Human Computer Interaction
- Digital Graphics and Animation
- Digital Video
- Computer Games Development
- Software Development
- 3D Modelling
What could it lead to?
These Level 3 qualifications provide entry into higher education with a view to progressing to roles within the computing and digital and creative technologies sector. Subjects that some students have gone on to study include Games Development, Cyber Security and Forensics, Web Development, Multimedia, Graphics and Animation, Networking and Cloud Computing, Mobile Apps and Social Media Developmen, and Software Development. This qualification also offers a direct route into apprenticeships or employment working in user support, as hardware or software technicians or data processing.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Computing & Digital Technologies (Computer Science route) Diploma Level 3
- Computing & Digital Technologies (Creative Computing route) Diploma Level 3
- Creative Media Production BTEC Diploma Level 1
- Information and Creative Technologies BTEC Extended Certificate Level 2
- IT Users Introductory Diploma Level 1