Award Crest
York College

York College apply now webpage banner

Updated 20th March 2019

For York College students: please complete an IPA Enquiry Form or come to the InfoZone. If emergency accommodation is required that night you should see an Intensive Personal Adviser as soon as possible during the working day.

Information Leaflets

Intensive Personal Advisers Leaflet

Under 18 Housing Leaflet

Over 18 Housing Leaflet

Local Councils Housing Depts Leaflet 

Self Help Resources - from the Counselling pages

Useful Local Council websites for housing advice or if you are homeless (or are threatened with homelessness) if you live in:-

   City of York  Council
   Craven District Council
   Harrogate Borough Council
   Hambleton District Council
   Leeds City Council
   North Yorkshire County Council
   Richmondshire District Council
   Ryedale District Council
   Scarborough Borough Council
   Selby District Council

Council Tax Benefit - It is unlikely that you will pay Council Tax as a full time student but you may have to apply for an exemption form. Seek advice from the college InfoZone or go to the link Council tax exemption information for City of York residents

Money for living (If you are not living at home and/or being supported by your parents/guardians):- Universal Credit has now been introduced in most areas of York and Yorkshire to help you with living costs. This replaces Income Support and Housing Benefit, however in some areas you would still need to apply for these benefits. If you are unsure, please ask an Intensive Personal Adviser for advice.  For funding from College - go to the InfoZone to make an appointment to see the Funding Team.

Paying your rent and bills

Paying your rent & bills - Renting a flat can be expensive, especially in York. Most students look at sharing a house which can be more economical as bills are shared out amongst all the housemates. It is important to check first that you can afford to pay your rent and living expenses. Sometimes rent includes bills, If not, remember that you will have to budget for paying for gas, electric, water, TV Licence & phone bills from your part-time job or benefits claim. If you are in shared accommodation, the responsibility for paying bills can often be stressful if housemates do not pay their share. Find out here what to do if there are problems in shared accommodation

You will have to pay a deposit or “bond” for most rental properties. This is usually the equivalent of one month’s rent and is paid back to you when you leave (providing there is no damage or outstanding rent payments due). Find out if your local council runs a “Bond Guarantee Scheme” , which is a written bond for Landlords instead of cash.

Rent is usually paid monthly. If you are a student in further education and on a low income you may be able to get the Housing Element of Universal Credit

Some Letting Agencies only offer accommodation to over 18s, however if you are under 18 it may still be possible if you can provide a financial guarantor, i.e. someone who agrees to cover your costs if you are in financial difficulty.

Make sure where possible that you have a tenancy agreement. This specifies your rights as a tenant. It is better to have a written tenancy agreement than a verbal one in case of any disputes with your landlord.

If you do not pay your rent you run the risk of being evicted from the accommodation. Landlords are within their rights to do this but must follow a procedure. Obtain advice from your local Citizen Advice Bureau or Housing Options Team at your local council identified above.


Need Help?