York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

Congratulations to A Level student Terence Smith who has been elected as a Labour Councillor and Deputy Mayor for Goole Town Council. During the local council election Terence, aged just 18, campaigned tirelessly to win votes in Goole North East - he is possibly the UK’s youngest councillor and Deputy Mayor.

Terence Smith Labour Councillor GooleWEB2

Terence is a former A Level Government & Politics student who also studies Film Studies, Theatre Studies and Media Studies, he is also the Vice-President of the Student Union at York College.

This year Terence has spent his spare time working enthusiastically for the Labour party on their general election and local election campaigns, he was also awarded an inaugural award for his service and contribution to the Labour party in East Yorkshire.

Terence says: “I have been politically aware since the beginning of secondary school at Holy Family Catholic High School in Carlton and whilst attending York College I became politically active. I am humbled that people have voted for me, allowing me the opportunity to serve on my local council. I want to help local people with local issues and in particular I want to get the youth voice heard on the council.”

Terence has another year of study ahead of him at York College and he intends progressing to university. He would like to have a career in politics.

Current Term's News

Need Help?