Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

Janine Mottley is the first York College Access student to be awarded an Ascentis David J Moore Memorial Bursary. Janine (aged 27) was presented with a £200 cheque and a certificate in recognition of her academic excellence and overcoming significant adversity during her studies.  

JanineMottley-DavidJMooreBursaryweb1

Having previously had a very successful career in finance, working as a team leader and managing a team of people, Janine relocated to York to begin a new life with fresh opportunities.  For a long time she struggled to find full-time employment and during this period she continued her passion for making art. 

Janine took a leap of faith by enrolling on the Access (Art & Design) course at York College - completely changing her career aspirations.  Having achieved high grades on the course she has now progressed to study the BA (Hons) Graphic Design course at College, aiming to become a graphic designer.  

Janine was nominated for the David J Moore bursary by her College tutors who praise her creative spirit and determination to succeed. They comment: “Janine is a model student with an inquisitive attitude, creative spirit and a serious determination to explore, experiment and break new ground.  She constantly challenges her own comfort zone and is not afraid to take risks.”

Janine says: “I was astounded to be awarded the bursary.  The Access course gave me a new start, bringing new opportunities, and I would recommend the course to anyone.  I feel a real connection with my tutors who have supported me.  I have great respect for them - they make an effort to get to know all their students.”

David J Moore founded Access courses as part of the Open College Network.  His legacy rewards and encourages adults to take up Further and Higher Education studies. 

Related Links:

Current Term's News

Links

Need Help?