Entry requirements5 GCSEs at grade C or above including English (grade 4) or a Level 2 Diploma at Merit grade and GCSE English at grade C (grade 4).
You will be required to attend an interview and an audition/workshop to demonstrate your skills in dance, acting and singing.
What will I study?Equivalent to three A Levels, this course is a practical route into a career in musical theatre performance and provides an introduction to the practical skills and theoretical knowledge required to work in the performing arts industry. You will learn to develop skills in singing, music, dance and acting along with developing a thorough understanding of the musical theatre sector.
Over two years you will:
- Develop your singing voice
- Explore performance techniques
- Learn to work as an ensemble through rehearsal and performance
- Explore ballet and jazz dance forms
- Learn basic music theory
- Develop skills as an actor physically and vocally
- Understand how to create roles for performance
- Learn about the history of musical theatre and its influence on popular culture
- Apply the skills you have learnt in preparation for working in the industry
You will have the opportunity to learn and perform across a wide range of projects from workshop performances and recitals to children's theatre performance, concerts and full-scale musical theatre productions.
How will I be assessed?Students are assessed on a regular basis throughout the course, completing assignments which consist of 60 per cent practical and 40 per cent written work.
CostsA materials contribution of £65 applies to this course. We also have trips to theatres and other venues. These are priced on an individual basis.
What could it lead to?The course provides a sound foundation for drama school, with the majority of our students going to one of the top 22 conservatoires or into higher education, studying musical theatre at degree level. This is a practical, work-related approach to the world of musical theatre. Based upon real-life professional situations, activities and demands, the course is the ideal intermediate step in pursuing a career in the performing arts.
Past students have secured places at:
- East 15
- Italia Conti
- The Urdang Academy
- London Studios
- Arden School of Theatre
- Chichester University
- Chester University
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Trinity College London
- Bodywork Company
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Backstage Arts (Production Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Creative Media Production and Technology Diploma Level 2
- Creative Media Production Extended Diploma Level 3
- Dance Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma Level 3
- Dance Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Performance and Production Diploma Level 2
- Musical Theatre Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Backstage Arts Diploma Level 2
- Performing and Production Arts Diploma Level 1
- Performing Arts (Acting) Extended Diploma Level 3