5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English (grade 4) or Maths (grade 4) or any relevant Level 2 Diploma and GCSE English grade C (grade 4).
What will I study?
You will be taught by industry trained professionals. You will work as part of a team on professionally produced shows and performances receiving first hand knowledge. You will study key areas of the production industry: stage management, set design and construction, theatre lighting and live sound. In year two of the course students are encouraged to specialise in areas of production that interest them. You will study 18 units which, on successful completion, will give you a qualification which is the equivalent of three A Levels.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed over the two years through continual practical assessments, during which you will build a portfolio of evidence. You will be assessed on pre-production tasks, your work during live shows, and any prop or set that you build/make will be used as proof of your learning.
There is a £65.00 course material contribution applied to this course per year.
What is special about studying Production Arts (Backstage Arts) at York College?
- Staff with a wide range of specialist industry experience and skills
- Purpose-built performance space
- Links with entertainment companies
- Excellent workshop facilities
What could it lead to?
Most of our students progress onto higher education either at university or drama school studying: technical theatre, set design, lighting design and stage management. Employment is available as a technical assistant, as stage crew, an assistant designer, a scenic artist or as an assistant stage manager in performing arts venues as well as TV and film productions.
Previous students have progressed to higher level courses at:
Bristol Old Vic
Central School of Speech and Drama
Previously of Glenalmond College
Production Arts (Backstage Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3
"The Production Arts Diploma has helped me to learn industry skills, which will be useful as I hope to have a career in the backstage arts. These skills have also prepared me for higher education. Starting at my Diploma I was nervous about giving up A Levels, however, now I am pleased with my decision as I have thoroughly enjoyed all the work I have done.”
- Backstage Arts (Production Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Creative Media Production and Technology Diploma Level 2
- Creative Media Production Extended Diploma Level 3
- Dance Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma Level 3
- Dance Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Performance and Production Diploma Level 2
- Musical Theatre Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Backstage Arts Diploma Level 2
- Performing Arts (Acting) Extended Diploma Level 3