A course suitable for those who have completed the first year courses in Italian or who have a basic knowledge of the language and wish to develop their understanding and communication skills.
No formal requirements – a basic knowledge of the language and a willingness to participate will help you to be successful.
Dates and Times
20th September 2018 - 29th November 2018
7th March - 23rd May 2019
Time: 18.30 - 20.30
If you have enjoyed and been successful on the first year courses, or if your knowledge of Italian already allows you to “get by” the Continuers courses will help you to understand a little more and become a little more independent.
The course is designed to help you develop and improve the four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. The topics include:
- Getting to know people
- Talking about your routine
- Shopping for clothes
- Describing a home
- Asking the way & following directions
- Lost property
- Talking about going on holiday and past holidays
- Saying how you're feeling & describing symptoms
- Eating out
- Talking about the weather
Along the way students will practise their listening, reading and speaking skills with some writing. The emphasis is on communication, finding out more or sharing experiences of Italian culture and enjoying learning the language.
There is a practical approach to the subject, involving listening to recorded material spoken by native speakers, pair and group work to practise speaking and reading graded material.
Exams and Assessments
There is no formal assessment. However, the tutor will regularly monitor progress and give feedback. Students who complete the course successfully will receive a college certificate.
There is no formal qualification for this course. You will receive a College Certificate of Attendance to show you have attended.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will there be homework?
Small, optional amounts – always a good idea to review and practise at home.
Do I need a textbook?
Some classes decide collectively that they would like this. It’s always helpful to have access to online dictionaries and online language learning apps can be recommended.
The cost of this course is £200 for each 10 week block.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- York College Certificate - British Sign Language Beginners
- York College Certificate - British Sign Language Continuers
- York College Certificate - French for Beginners
- York College Certificate - German for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Italian Advanced
- York College Certificate - Italian for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Italian for Continuers
- York College Certificate - Reading the Booker Longlist
- York College Certificate - Spanish Advanced
- York College Certificate - Spanish for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Spanish for Continuers