Generally 4 or 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including Maths at grade B (grade 5) and English (grade 4), or a Merit in any relevant Level 2 course (Extended Certificate or above), subject to references.
What will I study?
With the rapid growth of cloud technology and the growing pressure on cyber-security this qualification offers students an opportunity to develop foundation skills in networking and supporting modern, networked computer technologies. This qualification is equivalent in size to two A Levels and can be supplemented with an additional A Level or equivalent.
You will study ten specialists units, six of these are mandatory and four are chosen by us. The mandatory units are:
• Principles of Computer Science
• Planning and Management of Computing Projects
• Building Computer Systems
• IT Systems Security
• Managing and Supporting Systems
• Programmable Devices and Controllers
• Computer Forensics
• Network Operating Systems
• Communication Technologies
What could it lead to?
This Level 3 qualification provides entry into higher education with a view to progressing to roles in the Networking and Systems Support. Subjects that some students have gone on to study are Cyber Networking, Security and Forensics, Ethical Hacking, Cloud Computing, Web application development, Mobile Apps and Software Development. This qualification also offers a direct route into apprenticeships or employment working in user support, hardware or software technicians or data processing.
- Computer Science BTEC National Diploma Level 3
- Computer Systems and Network Support BTEC National Diploma Level 3
- Computing for Creative Industries BTEC National Diploma Level 3
- Creative Media Production BTEC Diploma Level 1
- Information and Creative Technologies BTEC Extended Certificate Level 2
- Information Technology BTEC Introductory Diploma Level 1