GCSEs in Maths and English at grades E, F or G (grades 1 – 2+) or equivalent Functional Skills. Students with no formal qualifications will be assessed before enrolment. You must have a keen interest in IT.
What will I study?
You will complete 6 units over the year which involve using a wide range of exciting and emerging technologies including Developing Digital Information, Using Digital Technologies, Solving Technical IT Problems, Creating a Website, Developing a Computer Program, Developing Digital Graphics and Animated Graphics.
These are common skills that all learners at Level 1 need to develop in order to progress. You will complete 4 of these units which involve being organised, working with others, researching skills and making a plan for progression. You will also take part in work experience.
You will study maths and English at Entry 3, Level 1, Level 2 or GCSE depending on what you have already achieved. All students who have not achieved a grade c (grade 4) at GCSE will need to continue with both of these subjects.
How will I be assessed?
The Introductory Diploma is assessed at Pass, Merit and Distinction through the completion of internal assignments. There are no exams. Students wishing to progress to Level 2 must achieve at Merit or above.
What could it lead to?
On successful completion of the course you may progress to the Level 2 Extended Certificate in ICT or an equivalent pathway.
- Computer Science BTEC National Diploma Level 3
- Computer Systems and Network Support BTEC National Diploma Level 3
- Computing for Creative Industries BTEC National Diploma Level 3
- Creative Media Production BTEC Diploma Level 1
- Information and Creative Technologies BTEC Extended Certificate Level 2
- Information Technology BTEC Introductory Diploma Level 1