An interest in cake decoration and mastering simple techniques.
Students will also require the following equipment: Apron and non-slip shoes.
Dates and Times
We are hoping to run this course in Autumn 2017.
This course is a part-time class where students will learn all there is to know on how to cover and decorate a sponge cake with sugar paste. The class is suitable for complete beginners or for those that want to brush up or perfect their cake-covering skills.
Students will learn:
- All about cakes and which ones are suitable for icing
- How to split, level, cut and fill a cake, ready to be iced
- How to apply a crumb coat to prepare a cake ready to be iced
- How to prepare and roll out icing for covering
- How to cover a cake so that you get a professional, neat and flawless finish
- Working with cake-decorating equipment correctly
- How to colour icing correctly and what colourings to use
- How to make a variety of different flowers and decorations to finish a cake
- How to finish off a cake board and cake
- How to make letters for cakes, which will allow the creation of any message on a design
All equipment required for the classes will be provided. Students will learn in a fun and relaxing atmosphere in a well-equipped commercial kitchen. Class sizes also ensure one-to-one attention. In each class students will learn all the tricks of the trade, get to practice the techniques shown and go home with new-found skills.
The cost of this course is £270.
Courses costing more than £100 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770400.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Advanced Patisserie and Confectionery
- Cake Decoration and Icing
- City and Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Professional Patisserie and Confectionery
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Hospitality Services
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Food and Beverage Service Supervision
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Travel and Tourism
- Intermediate Patisserie and Confectionery
- Introduction to Patisserie and Confectionery