3 GCSEs at grade D, including English and Maths or Functional Skills Level 1 in English and Maths, or Level 1 Foundation Diploma in Hospitality.
This qualification is the result of collaboration between industry, education and City and Guilds. It takes into account the latest approach to food safety, health and safety and industry practices.
The content of this qualification is underpinned by the belief that to work as a successful chef in the catering industry it is essential to have a good foundation in a wide range of high quality cooking skills and to be able to apply them across a range of catering contexts.
What will I study?
The Diploma is made up of 12 units and candidates must achieve all 12 units to complete the qualification.
Units covered include:
- Introduction to the Hospitality and Catering Industry
- Food Safety in Catering
- Health and Safety Awareness for Catering and Hospitality
- Introduction to Healthier Foods and Special Diets
- Prepare and Cook Food by Using Different Cooking Methods
All Foundation programmes include social and work skills as well as Functional Skills.
How will I be assessed?
Each unit is assessed by a combination of externally set assignments and short answer tests and practical assessments.
What could it lead to?
On completion of this qualification, students may progress onto the Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery or an apprenticeship in hospitality, or alternatively into employment as a Trainee Chef or Cook/Kitchen Assistant.
Previously of All Saints Roman Catholic School
Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1
"I chose this course because I’ve always loved cooking and was keen to learn more skills. I like that the course is so varied, we cover many different aspects of cookery and that fascinates me. The course is better than I expected, I’m pleasantly surprised.I started the course late and was immediately accepted by my class mates and tutors. I was helped to catch up with everyone else and quickly felt comfortable in my classes."
Olivia has accepted an offer from Sheffield Hallam University to study BA Food and Nutrition.
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry Foundation Learning - Entry Level 3 (QCF)
- NVQ Hospitality Services Diploma Level 2 (QCF)
- NVQ Professional Cookery Diploma (QCF) Level 3
- NVQ Professional Cookery Diploma Level 2 (QCF)
- NVQ Professional Patisserie and Confectionery Diploma Level 3 (QCF)
- Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Professional Food and Beverage Service Level 3 (QCF)
- Travel and Tourism - City and Guilds Diploma Level 2
- Travel and Tourism - City and Guilds Diploma Level 3