Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery at Merti/Distinction level or Level 2 Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery, or alternatively substantial relevant industrial experience, as well as Maths and English at grade C (grade 4) or above, or Level 2 Functional Skills in English and Maths. All applicants need to be successful at interview.
One and two year courses.
What will I study?
This qualification is aimed at those wishing to progress from the current Level 2 Professional Cookery and/or for those in industry who wish to be recognised for their skills. It is also an opportunity for those in industry to further increase their knowledge within the area of professional cookery. Students will achieve a higher level of supervisory skills around craft and non-craft skills and have an ability to manage others.
There are two pathways, Professional Cookery (Kitchen Larder) or Patisserie and Confectionery. Units will include:
- Supervisory Skills in the Hospitality Industry
- Principles of Food Safety Supervision for Catering
- Practical Gastronomy or Patisserie and Confectionery
There are also other additional units developing advanced skills and techniques in producing poultry, meat, fish, shellfish, vegetables, game, fermented dough products, pastry, petit fours, desserts, biscuits, cakes and sponges, chocolate work, pastillage and sugar work.
How will I be assessed?
The Diploma is assessed by short answer tests and practical assessments.
What could it lead to?
On completion of this course, students may progress onto higher studies, into employment or further progress onto a management and leadership apprenticeship or a Foundation degree. Potential job occupations include: Sous Chef, Catering/Restaurant Manager, Kitchen Supervisor/Manager or Nutritional Therapist.
Previously of Barlby High School
Professional Cookery Level 3
"I like this course because it is very practical and fun. We have the opportunity to do a lot of cooking which is fantastic. It’s realistic which is great as it has prepared me for the environment I will be going into. I wanted a new start and thought coming to York College was the perfect opportunity. This course was the best for me as I have been taught by people who have a lot of experience."
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry Foundation Learning - Entry Level 3 (QCF)
- NVQ Hospitality Services Diploma Level 2 (QCF)
- NVQ Professional Cookery Diploma (QCF) Level 3
- NVQ Professional Cookery Diploma Level 2 (QCF)
- NVQ Professional Patisserie and Confectionery Diploma Level 3 (QCF)
- Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Professional Food and Beverage Service Level 3 (QCF)
- Travel and Tourism - City and Guilds Diploma Level 2
- Travel and Tourism - City and Guilds Diploma Level 3