Entry requirementsThere are no formal entry requirements, but applicants must attend an interview, have a keen interest in cooking and be fully committed to attending and completing the course.
DurationOne year full-time, but part-time is possible.
What will I study?The course is an Entry Level catering course for students who would like to prepare to enter the hospitality industry who may need a little extra help with reading, writing and confidence building. It involves experiencing Customer Service in the Hospitality Industry, Introduction to the Hospitality Industry, Food Service, Basic Food Preparation and Cooking, Food Safety and Serving Food and Drink. All Foundation programmes include social and work skills and Functional Skills.
How will I be assessed?You will be continuously assessed during the course through projects and skills checks, practical assessments and assignment work.
What could it lead to?Students can progress to Level 1 Professional Cookery depending on progress throughout their programme. Alternatively, students may wish to take up a job opportunity in the hospitality and catering industry.
Potential job occupations include:
- Hotel Porter
- Hotel Receptionist
- Hotel Room Attendant
- Food Processing Operative
- Fast Food Service Assistant
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry Foundation Learning - Entry Level 3 (QCF)
- NVQ Hospitality Services Diploma Level 2 (QCF)
- NVQ Professional Cookery Diploma (QCF) Level 3
- NVQ Professional Cookery Diploma Level 2 (QCF)
- NVQ Professional Patisserie and Confectionery Diploma Level 3 (QCF)
- Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Professional Food and Beverage Service Level 3 (QCF)
- Travel and Tourism - City and Guilds Diploma Level 2
- Travel and Tourism - City and Guilds Diploma Level 3