Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2) in Hospitality Services.
To start the course you must be employed in a relevant environment for a minimum of 30 hours per week. For an Intermediate Apprenticeship you will have a minimum of 3 GCSEs at grade D or above including English and Maths (grade 3+).
The Intermediate Apprenticeship takes one year to complete.
Delivery of this apprenticeship is through a combination of on and off the job learning and weekly attendance at College.
Why Hospitality Services?
York and North Yorkshire has a strong tourism and leisure industry and qualified staff are in demand. You will be entering a dynamic, fast moving and exciting career in the service sector and will acquire the knowledge and skills to embark on your chosen career in Hospitality. This apprenticeship will provide you with a range of skills that equips you to work in a varied range of areas within the Hospitality industry.
What will I study?
Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hospitality Services
• Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
• Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
• Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
Additional mandatory units (food handling):
• Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
• Maintain food safety when storing, holding and serving food
Optional units include:
Non-food handling units
• Collect linen and make beds
• Provide a linen service
• Cleaning & servicing a range of housekeeping areas
• Deal with bookings
• Provide reception services
• Deal with the arrival of customers
• Maintain and deal with payments
Food handling units
• Serve food at the table
• Prepare & clear the area for table service
• Serve alcoholic & soft drinks
• Prepare & serve hot drinks using specialist equipment
• Prepare & cook fish, meat & poultry
• Produce basic veg dishes
• Produce basic pasta dishes
• Functional Skills in Maths and English
• Personal Learning & Thinking Skills (PLTS)
• Employee Rights & Responsibilities
• Technical Certificate – Certificate in Hospitality & Catering Principles
How will I be assessed?
The NVQ programme is based on continuous assessment, which consists of practical tasks, observations of your work, oral questioning and written questions. The Functional Skills are assessed through online tests.
What could it lead to?
After completing the Intermediate Apprenticeship you will be in a position to apply to do an Advanced Apprenticeship in Hospitality Supervision or take on more responsibility within your role in the workplace.
York College, graded Outstanding by OFSTED, is ideally placed to support both Apprentices and businesses to successfully engage with and benefit from Apprenticeships.
To find out more about how to become an Apprentice or how to recruit an Apprentice into your business please contact York Business Development Unit:
Tel: 01904 770368