Throughout this qualification you will gain an understanding of the spectrum used to assert the height of particular autistic conditions, as well as how they can affect people in a myriad of ways. As well as exploring the importance of using a person-centred approach communication skills and positive behaviour techniques which encourage individuals with ASCs to lead fulfilling and independent lives.
NCFE Level 2 (online distance learning, no exams involved).
Who Is It For
This course is funded by the adult education budget, and therefore suitable for learners aged 19 and over and the courses are co-funded. Individuals that are aged 19 or over and have not attained a GCSE grades A* to C in maths or English will be fully funded.
Guided Learning Hours - 152
Study hours Per Week - 11
(*please note these are average and estimated figures and may not be a true representative for all individuals*)
Most students over the age of 19 will be able to study this course for free, however, please contact us if you are aged 19-23 and do not yet have a full level 2 qualification (5 GCSEs grade A*-C, NVQ Level 2 or higher) as additional eligibility criteria may apply.
This particular short course is just 12 weeks long.
How It Helps You
This course is suitable for those looking to develop an understanding of autism, the principles of supporting individuals affected and gaining the skills required to ensure they can best live as independently as possible. This course will be of great benefit if you are currently working, or are looking to work, with individuals who have an ASC.
How Is The Course Delivered
This course is available in both paper and online format, and is up to you to decide which method you prefer, making the course flexible and easy for you. Personal tutors are assigned to each learners, to help ensure you have the support you need throughout the duration of the short course.
UNIT 1 – Introduction to autism
This unit will provide you with a comprehensive introduction to autism, covering what is meant by autism theories exploring how autism develops and methods of working with those affected. You will also look at common misconceptions surrounding autism misconceptions surrounding autism and conditions that develop and methods of working with those affected. You will also look at common misconceptions surrounding autism and conditions that develop alongside autism.
UNIT 2 – Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
This unit covers the method of utilising a person-centred approach in order to support individuals with autism, incorporating the unique preferences and needs of the individual. You will examine also, the legislation and guidance on autism, as well as the support networks available to individuals diagnosed with the condition and their families.
UNIT 3 – Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
This unit covers the delays and difficulties in speech, language and social development often faced by individuals with autism. Also covered are methods and strategies that could be used when communicating with an individual with autism.
UNIT 4 – Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
In this unit you will gain an in-depth understanding of sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism- including hypersensitivity and hyposensitivity. You will also consider how to support the many unique sensory needs of individuals with autism.
UNIT 5– Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
This unit will provide you with an understanding of an individual’s behaviour in the context of autism. You will also look at how to support positive behaviour and help individuals to develop coping strategies.
UNIT 6 – Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
This unit covers how to provide effective support through transitions and life events, how to maintain the personal safety of others and how to access the wealth of services, facilities and employment opportunities open to those living with autism. You will also gain an understanding of what it is like for an individual to live with autism, including their experiences and their challenges.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- CACHE Level 2 Preparing to work in Adult Social Care
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Common Childhood Illnesses
- Level 2 Award Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Level 2 Award in Working with Young People
- Level 3 Certificate Counselling Skills
- Level 4 Diploma Theraputic Counselling
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health
- York St John University Certificate in Counselling Skills