More than 60% of adults in the UK are currently overweight. Without robust action, experts predict that half of all adults will be medically obese by around 2050. Many of the factors that influence obesity can be controlled by the individual themselves and this course aims to educate people in exactly how they are able to do so.
NCFE Level 2 (online distance learning, no exams involved).
Who Is It For
This course is funded by the adult education budget, and therefore suitable for learners aged 19 and over and the courses are co-funded. Individuals that are aged 19 or over and have not attained a GCSE grades A* to C in maths or English will be fully funded.
Guided Learning Hours - 126
Study hours Per Week - 12.5
(*please note these are average and estimated figures and may not be a true representative for all individuals*)
This particular short course is just 9 weeks long.
How It Helps You
This is a fantastic qualification for those wanting to officially recognise the importance of a healthy lifestyle and enhance their knowledge and understanding of the importance of a balanced and nutritious diet.
How Is The Course Delivered
This course is available in both paper and online format, and up to you to choose which option you choose depending on your preferred method of learning; making the course flexible and easy for the learner. Personal tutors are assigned to each learner, to help ensure you have the support you need throughout the duration of the short course.
UNIT 1 – Explore the principles of healthy eating
This unit explored healthy diets and how a person’s diet directly affects their general health. Learners also examine various lifestyle diseases, the role of different nutrients in assisting our bodies’ functions, how to plan a healthy meal and how to prepare food safely.
UNIT 2 – Consider the nutritional needs of a variety of individuals
Learners look at how nutritional needs alter with age and this unit explores the needs pf children and those of the elderly, focusing on the special dietary requirements if particular demographics. The factors which create barriers to healthy lifestyles for individuals are also explored.
UNIT 3 – Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet
Learners will gain an increased awareness of the information provided on food labels and how this can be used to plan healthier, balanced meals and encourage a healthy diet more generally. The advantages and disadvantages of food additives are explained and learners will evaluate their own diet in an attempt to understand how complex the world of food and nutrition really is.
UNIT 4 – The principles of weight management
This unit explores the risks associated with ineffective weight management and highlights how effective methods of weight management can be best implemented. Learners will look at how societal demands for a particular body image can negatively influence weight management, as well as how to plan a short-term weight management programme which works for you.
UNIT 5– Understanding eating disorders
Learners will study different eating disorders and their effect on health and well-being. This unit also provides an understanding of the complex connection between food and feelings, explaining how to access useful information and support surrounding eating disorders.
UNIT 6 – Principles of food safety for the home environment
Learners will gain an understanding of how to implement food safety in a safe environment, avoid contamination and discover how to identify hazards. This unit also highlights the great importance of personal hygiene when handling food.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- CACHE Level 2 Preparing to work in Adult Social Care
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Level 2 Award Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Level 2 Award in Working with Young People
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health
- York St John University Certificate in Counselling Skills