Each year 1 in 10 hospital patients develop a healthcare-associated infection during their stay in UK hospitals. Approximately 5,000 patients die as a direct result of these infections and they also contribute in some way to around 15,000 other deaths in the UK each year. In most cases these infection are difficult to treat and can complicate existing illnesses that a patient is experiencing, as well as causing distress for the said individual and their family.
NCFE Level 2 (online distance learning, no exams involved).
Who Is It For
This course is funded by the adult education budget, and therefore suitable for learners aged 19 and over and the courses are co-funded. Individuals that are aged 19 or over and have not attained a GCSE grades A* to C in maths or English will be fully funded.
Guided Learning Hours - 111
Study hours Per Week - 12.5
(*please note these are average and estimated figures and may not be a true representative for all individuals*)
Most students over the age of 19 will be able to study this course for free, however, please contact us if you are aged 19-23 and do not yet have a full level 2 qualification (5 GCSEs grade A*-C, NVQ Level 2 or higher) as additional eligibility criteria may apply.
This particular short course is just 8 weeks long.
How It Helps You
Taking this qualification can help tackle the outbreak of infection in hospitals and health care settings by aiding you in understanding the many causes of, and the spread of infection alongside how you can help to control it.
How Is The Course Delivered
This course is available in both paper and online format, and is up to you to decide which method you prefer, making the course flexible and easy for you. Personal tutors are assigned to each learners, to help ensure you have the support you need throughout the duration of the short course.
UNIT 1 – Principles of the cause and spread of infection in health care settings
Learners will develop an understanding of the chain of infection and examine how infection is caused and the ways in which it can spread.
UNIT 2 – Principles of the importance of personal hygiene and health in the prevention and control of infection in health care settings
This unit explores the vital importance of personal hygiene, demonstrates effective hand washing and the principles of using personal protective equipment.
UNIT 3 – Principles pf decontamination, cleaning and waste management in health care settings
Learners will gain an understanding of how important cleaning, decontamination, sterilisation and waste management is within the health care setting.
UNIT 4 – Principles of infection prevention and control in a health care setting
This unit will explain in detail the purpose of infection control and look in detail at the regulations, policies, procedures, risk assessments and roles and responsibilities in relation to infection control.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- CACHE Level 2 Preparing to work in Adult Social Care
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Common Childhood Illnesses
- Level 2 Award Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Level 2 Award in Working with Young People
- Level 3 Certificate Counselling Skills
- Level 4 Diploma Theraputic Counselling
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health
- York St John University Certificate in Counselling Skills