The Dental Nurse role complements the role of other dental professionals. One of the primary roles is to provide chair side support to dental professionals and deliver a high level of patient care.
Dental Nurses may work in a variety of clinical environments and the Apprenticeship reflects all aspects of clinical responsibilities and duties of a dental nurse’s role and will provide the apprentice with the relevant qualification to apply to the General Dental Council (GDC) for professional registration as a dental nurse.
Dental Nurses are registered professional and work within the standards and scope of practice defined by the GDC Scope of Practice document.
Qualifications and End Point Assessment Information:
A qualification which has been approved by the General Dental Council as meeting the requirements for entry to the professional register.
Method(s) of delivery:
This apprenticeship is designed to support individuals to meet the professional standard for people working as a trainee Dental Nurse within the industry.
The model has been driven by an employer steering group, and then refined through the Technical Working Group consisting of employers, training providers & assessment experts.
The principles driving the design of the assessment plan are as follows:
- Maximum relevance to the job wherever possible
- Integration with day-to-day responsibilities wherever possible
- Added value to the apprentice’s journey, both during and at the end of the apprenticeship
The purpose of the end point assessment is to test (in a synoptic way) the skills, knowledge and behaviours of the apprentice as set out in the apprenticeship standard. End point assessment:
- Provides apprentices with a showcase opportunity to provide oral and documentary evidence of their knowledge, skills and behaviours developed throughout the apprenticeship
- Enables the independent assessor to assess the skills and behaviours of the apprentice by observing the apprentice in the course of their normal work.
- Tests the knowledge acquired by the apprentice throughout the apprenticeship.
The end point assessment includes the following components:
- A multiple choice test.
- An observation of practice undertaken in the workplace.
- An evidence portfolio completed by the apprentice with an interview.
The apprenticeship includes Pass and Distinction grades with the final grade based on the apprentice’s combined performance in each assessment activity.
Are there any entry criteria?
Apprentices must also have achieved a minimum of Level 1 English and Level 1 Maths and to have taken level 2 English and Maths tests prior to completion of their Apprenticeship.
On completion of this apprenticeship the apprentice can register with the General Dental Council as a qualified Dental Nurse.
Our success rates
Our Overall Apprenticeship Success rate for Apprenticeships in 2015/16 is 81%, a whopping 13% above National Average.
Our overall success rates for our Advanced Apprenticeships provision is 81%, a huge 13% above National Average.
Our Dental nursing overall success rate is 80% which is a huge 12% above National Average.