Entry requirementsAn engineering skills-based qualification at Level 2, (eg NVQ Level 2 Performing Engineering Operations) or relevant experience and 4 GCSEs which must include Maths (grade 3+), English (grade 3+) and a Science subject at grade D or above.
DurationThis is a one year full-time course for students who already have a Level 2 ‘engineering skills' based qualification eg Level 2 NVQ Performing Engineering Operations.
What will I study?To achieve this qualification you will be required to complete two mandatory units, in addition to a further six units. This diploma is a Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ) and focuses on performance using advanced engineering practical skills, knowledge and understanding. You will also be required to develop your literacy and numeracy skills through Functional Skills or GCSE resit to support your progression. You will develop your practical skills alongside the development of underpinning engineering theoretical knowledge and your understanding of engineering, particularly in the mechanical manufacturing and fabrication areas of engineering.
The mandatory units are:
- QETA/001 : Engineering and Environmental Health and Safety
- QETA/002 : Organisational Efficiency and Improvement
- QET/04 : Advanced Turning
- QETA/006 : Computer Aided Drawing
- QETA/019 : Mig/Mag Welding
- QETA/023 : Producing Sheet Metal Fabrications
- QETA/041 : Advanced Manufacture Techniques - Computer Numerical Control
- QETA/043 : Engineering Design Process
How will I be assessed?25 per cent of the total marks are from an external assessment which will be a multiple-choice question paper to assess Health & Safety and organisational efficiency.
Internal assessment involves you completing a range of assignments and practical tasks which demonstrate your understanding and skills. You will produce a logbook/portfolio to compile all of your evidence and assignments.
What must you provide?You will need to provide overalls and a pair of safety shoes/boots for your workshop based units. Please be aware that you will not be allowed in the workshop without these.
What could it lead to?EAL Advanced Diploma in Engineering and Technology has been designed for those candidates who:
Wish to become an engineer (eg maintenance engineer, mechanical engineer, welder and/or fabricator).
Are thinking about engineering as a career but would like some experience of the job role first.
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Extended Diploma Level 3 (Year 2)
- Engineering (Electrical/Electronic) Foundation Diploma Level 3 (Year 1)
- Engineering (Manufacturing) Foundation Diploma Level 3 (Year 1)
- Engineering and Technology Diploma Level 3
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 2
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 2 (Fast Track)
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 3
- Light Vehicle Maintenance IMIAL Diploma Entry Level 3
- Light Vehicle Maintenance IMIAL Diploma Level 1
- Manufacturing Engineering Extended Diploma Level 3 (Year 2)
- Performing Engineering Operations (PEO) NVQ Level 2