There are no formal entry requirements for this course, and there is no requirement for prior knowledge of motor vehicle technology.
This course offers an exciting and enjoyable programme of study for people interested in a career in the motor vehicle trade.
What will I study?
The course is designed to give students an insight into how the motor vehicle works and how to work safely and efficiently within a motor vehicle environment using the correct tools and equipment. It is aimed at students who prefer and respond to 'hands-on' learning.
You will study mandatory and optional units.
Mandatory units will include topics such as:
- Introduction to Motor Vehicle Workshop Safety
- Introduction to Retail Automotive Maintenance and Repair Industry
- Introduction to Workshop Tools and Equipment
- Principles of Engine Components and Operation
- Principles of Light Vehicle Steering and Suspension Systems
- Principles of Component Fitting
- Routine Cooling and Lubrication System Checks
- Routine Braking System Checks
- Routine Wheel and Tyre Checks
- Routine Vehicle Checks
- Basic Vehicle Valeting
- Light Vehicle Construction
Optional units may include:
- Vehicle Driveline Maintenance
- Vehicle Lighting System Maintenance
- Spark Ignition System Maintenance
- Introduction to Spark Ignition Fuel Systems
- Introduction to Compression Ignition Fuel Systems
- Routine Vehicle Maintenance Processes and Procedures
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by online assessment and practical tasks.
What could it lead to?
The main progression route at the end of the course is onto the Level 1 VRQ full-time diploma course in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Extended Diploma Level 3 (Year 2)
- Engineering (Electrical/Electronic) Foundation Diploma Level 3 (Year 1)
- Engineering (Manufacturing) Foundation Diploma Level 3 (Year 1)
- Engineering and Technology Diploma Level 3
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 2
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 2 (Fast Track)
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 3
- Light Vehicle Maintenance IMIAL Diploma Entry Level 3
- Light Vehicle Maintenance IMIAL Diploma Level 1
- Manufacturing Engineering Extended Diploma Level 3 (Year 2)
- Performing Engineering Operations (PEO) NVQ Level 2