This course offers an exciting and enjoyable programme of study for people interested in a career in the motor vehicle trade.
There is no requirement for prior knowledge of motor vehicle technology to study this course, however you do need to have 2 GCSEs at grade D and 2 GCSEs at grade E and a genuine interest in motor vehicle careers. The preference is for grade D in Maths (grade 3+) and Science and grade E in English (grade 2+) plus one other subject.
Or the Diploma Entry Level 3 in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair.
What will I study?
This course is designed to engage and motivate students who are interested in learning about the maintenance of motor vehicles and the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry.
Students will study a selection of the following units.
- Health and Safety Practices in Vehicle Maintenance
- Tools, Equipment and Materials for Vehicle Maintenance
- Spark Ignition Engine Systems, Components and Operation
- Compression Ignition Engine Systems, Components and Operation
- Engine Liquid Cooling and Lubrication Systems Components and Maintenance
- Vehicle Braking Systems Components and Maintenance
- Routine Vehicle Maintenance Processes and Procedures
- Vehicle Wheels and Tyres Construction and Maintenance
- Vehicle Exhaust Systems Components and Maintenance
- Vehicle Driveline Maintenance
- Introduction to Spark Ignition Fuel Systems
- Introduction to Compression Ignition Fuel Systems
- Introduction to Low Carbon Technologies in the Automotive Industry
- Spark Ignition Systems Maintenance
- Vehicle Electrical Foundation Skills
- Vehicle Lighting System Maintenance
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through online assessment, practical assignments and through multi-choice exams.
What could it lead to?
You can continue your studies by progressing onto the Level 2 VRQ full-time course in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair, or alternatively you can find employment in the automotive industry or a Motor Vehicle Apprenticeship.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Extended Diploma Level 3 (Year 2)
- Engineering (Electrical/Electronic) Foundation Diploma Level 3 (Year 1)
- Engineering (Manufacturing) Foundation Diploma Level 3 (Year 1)
- Engineering and Technology Diploma Level 3
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 2
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 2 (Fast Track)
- Light Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMIAL VRQ Level 3
- Light Vehicle Maintenance IMIAL Diploma Entry Level 3
- Light Vehicle Maintenance IMIAL Diploma Level 1
- Manufacturing Engineering Extended Diploma Level 3 (Year 2)
- Performing Engineering Operations (PEO) NVQ Level 2