Entry requirementsThis access course is for anyone considering a construction course but does not have the required entry criteria. You will need to be successful at interview, and enthusiasm and commitment will be taken into consideration.
What will I study?This course is suitable if you want to progress into a career within the construction industry as either a general operative or to progress on to the various craft courses delivered by the College. It will prepare you for employment and look at core work skills required.
Units of study include:
- Introduction to Construction Work
- Principles of Health and Safety
- Handling and Storing Materials and Components
- Personal WorkSkills
- Introduction to Self Employment
- Carrying Out Painting and Decorating Operations
- Carrying Out Trowel Operations
- Carrying Out Wood Operations
- Carrying Out Plumbing Operations
- Carrying Out Electrical Operations
- WorkSkills: Applying for a job, preparing for an interview and interview skills
- Functional Skills in Maths and English
What could it lead to?On completion of this course students can progress onto the Level 1 Diplomas in Bricklaying, Carpentry and Joinery, Painting and Decorating, Plastering Plumbing or Electrical Installations or go on to find employment in order to transfer to an apprenticeship.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Construction and the Built Environment BTEC Advanced Diploma Level 3
- Construction and the Built Environment BTEC Diploma Level 1
- Construction and the Built Environment BTEC First Diploma Level 2
- Decorative Occupations (Painting and Decorating) Diplomas Level 1, Level 2
- Electrical Installation Diploma in Electrotechnical Studies (Electrician's course) Level 1
- Electrical Installation Diploma in Electrotechnical Studies (Electrician's course) Level 2
- Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures) Diploma Level 3
- Plastering Occupations Diplomas Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3
- Plumbing Diploma Level 1
- Plumbing Diploma Level 2
- Preparation for Employment in the Construction Industry Diploma Level 1
- Step up into Construction
- Stonemasonry Diploma Level 2
- Trowel Occupations (Bricklaying) Diplomas Level 1, Level 2
- Wood Occupations (Carpentry and Joinery) Diplomas Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3