This Level 2 Diploma is an introduction to the world of Business, Hospitality, Retail and Travel & Tourism. The Diploma will provide an opportunity to explore and gain an insight into the key areas that drive the York economy. Initially you will learn about the retail and events industry, then midway through your programme you will be able to select one of three distinct pathways in either Travel & Tourism, Business or Hospitality.
3 GCSEs at grade D with Maths and English not lower than grade E (grade 2+).
One year, attendance is as full-time and it may include work experience placement.
What will I study?
The Diploma is made up by a number of qualifications depending on the chosen pathway. Initially you will undertake an Award in Retail Business (exploring customer experience, retail business & retail operations) followed by an Award in Travel & Tourism (which includes event planning and principles of customer service). You will then choose one of the following pathways:
Hospitality Services Multi-skill
This pathway will allow you to learn skills and acquire the knowledge required to work in Hospitality. It is ideal if you wish to embark on a career in the restaurant and hotel trade or would like to work in professional kitchens.
This pathway covers topic such as:
- Customer Service in Hospitality
- Food Safety in Catering
- Health and Safety in Catering and Hospitality
- Team Working in Hospitality
Plus a range of optional units covering:
- Food and Beverage Service Skills
- Providing Reception Service Skills
- Food Preparation and Cooking Skills
- Providing Housekeeping Services Skills
- Handling Payments and Maintaining Payment Points
Travel & Tourism
This pathway is ideal if you wish to enter a career as a travel agent, resort representative or in tour operations. It will provide you with the skills and knowledge to either progress to further/higher studies or into an apprenticeship or workplace employment.
This pathway covers topic such as:
- Customer Service in Travel and Tourism
- Resort Representative
- Tour Operations
- Activity Tourism in the UK
- Visitor Attractions
- World Wide Travel Destinations
- Retail Travel Services
- Tourist Information Services
This pathway is ideal for those who wish to develop business skills, move into employment or progress onto further study in Business or an apprenticeship in Business.
This pathway covers topics such as:
- Introduction to Business & Enterprise
- Marketing for Business & Enterprise
- Finance for Business & Enterprise
- Plan, develop & participate in a Business or Enterprise project
How will I be assessed?
Some of the components are assessed externally, others by internal assessment whereby each candidate is required to create a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates achievement of 100% of the learning outcomes and assessment criteria associated with each unit. On completion of each unit candidates must declare that the work produced is their own. The Assessor must countersign this. The main pieces of evidence for the portfolio could include (in no particular order):
- Assessor observation
- Witness testimony
- Record of professional discussion
- Record of oral and written questioning
- Candidate and peer reports
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
What could it lead to?
On completion you may progress into employment within the business, retail, hospitality, visitor or tourism sector or progress to higher studies at Level 3 in either Business, Hospitality or Travel & Tourism. Alternatively, you could progress into an apprenticeship.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.