Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

5th December 2017

Final year Musical Theatre students entertained primary school children and local children’s groups in the lead up to Christmas, performing two newly-devised shows; ‘Wicked Emotions’ and ‘Help! Someone Stole the Princess’, in the College’s Alan Ayckbourn Theatre.

Finn East in Help Who Stole the PrincessWEB

The first of the performances, ‘Wicked Emotions’, saw fun-loving Poppy trying to win the love of her best friend, Flynn. Unfortunately, she made a big mistake getting Witches; Sadness, Spite and Jealousy involved, putting Princess Willow in great danger. Audiences couldn’t help but get involved in the race against time to stop the Witches before something terrible happened!

wicked emotions1WEB

Princess Willow, played by Musical Theatre student Elisha Thomas (formerly of Ridgewood School in Doncaster) says: “This was the first time I had helped to devise a performance and it was a challenging process. We tried to engage with the young audience and create big characters that were easy for them to identify with. This Musical Theatre course has a great reputation for getting students into top drama schools, and I am hoping I will be successful when I start applying this coming year.”

Wicked EmotionsWEB

The second half of the bill was; ‘Help! Who Stole the Princess’, set at a pre-wedding party, where Princess Jess, with her beautiful necklace, was stolen, and where the hilarious pantomime dame Hinkey McHumperdink, Dan the Butler, Prince Simon, Beatrice and Zippy started their adventure to save them.
Student Finn East (formerly of Woldgate College) played the garishly-funny Hinkey McHumperdink. He said: “I was very relaxed about playing the pantomime dame and enjoyed wearing the costume (which was very heavy). I created a very feminine and over-the-top character which the audience found really funny. It’s strange because I wasn’t a great pantomime fan before now, but performing in a panto was quite different - I really enjoyed it.”

Related Link

Creative and Performing Arts (Musical Theatre) Extended Diploma Level 3

Performing and Production Arts (Backstage Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News

Links