Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

21st November 2017

Congratulations to York College CITB construction apprentice Lewis Greenwood on winning the Silver Medal at the National SkillBuild final held at the NEC, Birmingham. Lewis has now been selected for the SkillBuild National Squad and potentially could join Squad UK for the international competition WorldSkills Kazan 2019!

Lewis Greenwood - Silver medalWEB

Lewis Greenwood Silver at National FinalWEB

Lewis, aged 20, works for PDS Construction in Wetherby and is formerly of Tadcaster Grammar School.  He says: “I have enjoyed my bricklaying apprenticeship and I’m amazed to make it into Squad UK, my training has gone well and I’m excited to compete on the world stage.”

Lewis Greenwood - Silver at National SkillBuild Final 2017WEB

Congratulations also to York College CITB apprentice Charlie Young, who was Highly Commended at the national final.

Lewis and CharlieWEB

York College brickwork tutor Harpal Sambi is proud of both apprentices, saying: "It was a hard competition and Lewis and Charlie demonstrated their skills very well.  Big congratulations to Lewis particularly - he really nailed it.  Winning Silver means he now goes through to Squad UK and has a chance of going to Kazan in 2019!  The Construction team at York College will continue to support him as he progresses in the competition." 

Further congratulations go to York College brickwork tutor Mike Burdett who has been named a WorldSkills UK Local Hero.  Mike Burdett supports York College students as they compete in SkillBuild competitions.  As a WorldSkillsTraining Manager Mike was an expert judge at WorldSkills in Abu Dhabi 2017.  

Mike Burdett World Skills2WEB 

Related Link

Construction

Apprenticeships

Current Term's News

Links