Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

13th November 2017

York College is proud to have two bricklaying apprentices in this year’s UK final of SkillBuild; the country's most prestigious and longest running construction skills competition organised by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB).  

Charlie Young and Lewis GreenwoodWEB

York College CITB construction apprentices Charlie Young and Lewis Greenwood will take on fellow SkillBuild finalists from all around the country at the NEC, Birmingham (16-18 November). 

After competing in the regional heats earlier this year, and completing their apprenticeship training in the summer of 2016, Charlie and Lewis are delighted and excited to have reached the national final. Their aim is to win medals at SkillBuild 2017 and potentially join Squad UK for the international competition WorldSkills Kazan 2019.

Charlie, aged 21, is self-employed at IR Young & Sons in Knottingley. He says: “This national competition is the culmination of my three year apprenticeship training. Having worked hard at work and at College, in final preparation I built a poppy wall to mark Remembrance Day this week. It’s been a great experience so far and everyone at College and at work is very supportive. I'm feeling confident that I can demonstrate my skills in the national competition.”

Charlie Young with poppyWEB

Lewis, aged 20, works for PDS Construction in Wetherby and is formerly of Tadcaster Grammar School. He says: “I have enjoyed my bricklaying apprenticeship, it’s been really good. My training has gone well and I’m hoping the national final will be straightforward – I’m actually looking forward to it now.”

Lewis GreenwoodWEB

Jeremy Wright, CITB Partnerships Manager for Yorkshire says: “It is fantastic to see young people from Yorkshire making it to the final of SkillBuild 2017, and having the opportunity to showcase their skills on a national stage. SkillBuild is one of many ways in which we can show the immense talent coming into our industry, and attract more young people to follow these apprentices' footsteps into a rewarding career in construction.”

Related Link

Construction Apprenticeships

Current Term's News

Links