Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8th November 2017

‘SQUADGE #2 sees a nomadic, multidisciplinary collective of London-based artists install new works at the York College Gallery for six weeks, constituting an ongoing show interspersed with performances and workshops throughout.

Squadge1WEB

Formed of 18 recent graduates, SQUADGE was born out of fortnightly, self-organised crit sessions held at Central Saint Martins. The show in York will be their second together and follows an exhibition last month as part of Plymouth Art Weekender.

Squadge 3WEB

One of the featured artists in the exhibition, Josh Yates (formerly of Fulford School), studied on the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design here at York College. He says: "‘Coming back to York College and having the opportunity to exhibit with my collective is a real honour and privilege, as it was this institution that implanted the foundations of my future career in the arts. Helping me obtain a place at Central St Martins was a benchmark in my life and opened up to me a world of possibilities that I am now utilising to the upmost. Never forgetting my own educational lineage, it has been an adamant thought to return something back to the place that helped me get so far. Hence this Show."

Squadge 2WEB

This exhibition is a unique group show featuring an array of different practices including sound art, sculpture, drawing and performance and is very contemporary and of the moment. Steven Hemingway, curator of The Gallery exhibition space at the College says: “It is always great to have ex-students come back to exhibit with us and this exhibition is no exception. I was very happy to work with Josh who organised the entire exhibition and managed the other artists involved. It is brilliant to hear of ex-students having such positive memories of their time here with us and to help them to progress onto prestigious undergraduate destinations such a Central Saint Martins.”

Squadge 4WEB

SQUADGE#2 takes over the York College Gallery from 7th November - 9th December 2017

Related Link

Art & Design Foundation Diploma Post Level 3

Current Term's News

Links