Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

17th October 2017

Former Catering & Hospitality student Steve Scoullar, who is the new Head Chef of The Ivy Brasserie in St Helens Square, returned to York College to share his work experiences with current students who are currently preparing to work in the industry.

Steve Scoullar 1WEB

Since leaving York College in 2002, Steve Scoullar’s career lists a wealth of experience working in York’s restaurants, and more recently on a 6* all-inclusive cruise liner. Starting as Commis Chef at the York’s Ramada Jarvis hotel and at Middlethorpe Hall, he progressed to Chef de Partie at The Living Room, The Blue Bicycle restaurant and the Dean Court Hotel. Steve then returned to Middlethorpe Hall in 2007 as Senior Sous Chef before widening his horizons to take on the roles of Sous Chef and Executive Chef at Regent Seven Seas cruises liners. Steve's notable success in the hospitality industry has now enabled him to return to the city to take up the top job at York’s much anticipated The Ivy restaurant.

Steve Scoullar alumni 1WEB

Karen Horsman, Team Leader for Hospitality at York College said: "It was fantastic to welcome Steve back to the College and to hear about his successful career to date. Talking to students about the different jobs he has taken on, he was truly inspirational and a great role model for those aiming to follow in his footsteps."

Having studied NVQ Catering and Hospitality at York College Steve maintains: “There is no doubt the course provided me with a platform on which to build my career, giving me the skills set, base knowledge, vision and understanding of how the catering industry works.” He adds; “I wanted to be a chef - a top chef. I was hungry to progress myself and achieve levels within my career which were impossible to picture as a keen 16 year old starting off. Although College can’t prepare you for managing a brigade of 96 staff of different abilities and nationalities, deal with multi-million pound budgets or open one of the most iconic restaurant brands in York, it did give me the confidence to approach the industry in a positive way and without fear. Along with skills, knowledge and qualifications, college life also had a great social impact. The friends I met at College remain my best and closest friends today. Together we have influenced and encouraged each other to be more successful and we continue to help each other to achieve our goals.”

Related Link

Hospitality, Travel & Tourism

Current Term's News

Links