Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

1th October 2017

Congratulations to two York College apprentices who were Highly Commended in the regional final of the North, East Yorkshire & Humberside National Apprenticeship Awards 2017. Apprentices Emily Grimes and Calum Finn were recognised for making a real difference to their organisations, and their own careers.

Emily Grimes Highly Commended at NAS AwardsWEB

Emily Grimes (previously of Tadcaster Grammar School) is a Level 2 Business Administration apprentice who is employed in the Work Placement team at York College. Emily says: “After a year of A Levels, I decided to opt for the apprenticeship route. I haven’t looked back since starting my apprenticeship; the learning style really suits me and my employer supports me at every stage. I love my job and I am over the moon to win Highly Commended at the regional NAS Awards.”

Emily Grimes - NAS Awards regional finalistWEB

Calum Finn, aged 21, is an apprentice at Nestle, studying an Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering with York College. He says: “Choosing an apprenticeship with Nestlé was a fantastic decision for me, gaining extremely valuable skills both academically and from the workplace. As a result I have achieved a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering to Double Distinction* which I am thrilled to have accomplished; as a result I have now been offered the opportunity from Nestlé York to progress onto study an HNC in Process Engineering which I think is a brilliant way to continue my career development.”

Calum Finn Highly Commended at NAS Awards 2017WEB

calum finn nestleWEB

Martin Kennedy, Employer Engagement Manager at York College and the reigning NAS Apprenticeship Champion, presented an award at the ceremony held at the Principal in York. He said: “Two years ago I was on the scoring panel for the NAS Awards and I know the criteria the apprentices have to fulfil to get to this stage is very significant. We are so proud of Emily and Calum winning Highly Commended on the regional stage.”

Sue Husband, Director, National Apprenticeship Service said: “Our awards recognise the hard work and success of apprentices and the commitment of apprenticeship employers. The regional finalists demonstrate promise and drive and have a real enthusiasm for the apprenticeship programme.”

Related Link

Apprenticeships

Current Term's News

Links