Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

22nd March 2018

A Level student Akosua Efa is one of over 90 students studying the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) alongside their A Level, Apprenticeships and late start courses at York College. Taking their studies to a deeper level, the students have carried out a sustained project on a subject of real interest to them, and in Akosua’s case she has presented an EPQ on the subject of ‘Techniques for the taming and training of parrots.’

Akosua Efa - 1PARROT TRAININGWEB

Akosua, formerly from Archbishop Holgate’s School, has an AS Level in Psychology and is currently studying A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, intending to progress to university in September to study veterinary science.

Akosua Efa - Parrot training 1WEB

Concentrating on the Step Up method of parrot training, Akosua used academic research to evidence her theories, giving a demonstration in the classroom of parrot behaviour to back up her findings. 

She said: “Combining my interests in psychology and biology, I decided to base my research on a subject that is close to my heart and in so doing I have been able to brush up on my essay writing and research skills. These parrots were abandoned three years ago and when we took them in I became interested in their behaviour.  Having the opportunity to delve into research, and know where to look for resources, it has been a labour of love to present my EPQ. In the future I would like to write a manual on parrot training.”

Hayley McQueen, Curriculum Performance Manager at York College, explains: “The EPQ supports progression to Higher Education and is highly regarded by universities and employers alike, carrying the equivalent UCAS points to half an A Level.  It provides a wonderful opportunity for students to research, write about and present a subject of their choosing.”

Current Term's News