Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

5th March 2018

‘Apprenticeships Work’ is the theme of this year’s National Apprenticeship Week (5th – 9th March 2018) and York College is celebrating working with hundreds of successful apprentices and employers. 

Employer sectionWEB

Some inspirational apprentices and their employers are profiled here:

Bench joinery apprentice Sam Batters, aged 20, is employed by York Minster. He says: “I'd studied Levels 1 and 2 site joinery at York College and wanted to find employment. I applied for the bench joinery apprenticeship with York Minster and haven’t looked back since. I enjoy making things and working at York Minster is amazing. I feel very lucky to have found something I absolutely love doing.”

Business Administration apprentice Jodie Sabin, aged 41, has worked at Saville’s Audio Visual for twelve years. Wanting to gain qualifications to back up the skills she already used in her job, Jodie is studying the NVQ Level 3 in Business Administration as an apprenticeship through the company. She says: “The apprenticeship has certainly improved my skill-set, I am learning new things all the time and my improving my confidence. The apprenticeship works well alongside my role and I think it’s important for people to realise you can take up an apprenticeship at any age.”

Jodie Sabin - landscape BESTWEB

Laboratory and Science Technician apprentice Kailum Browne, aged 18, is enjoying working at Fera. Initially he studied A Levels and then decided he preferred a more practical study programme. When he found out about the Laboratory and Science Technicians apprenticeship he knew it was the right route for him. Kailum says: “I like earning and learning at the same time.”

Kailum BrowneWEB

Faye Rich, aged 23, worked in an office when she left school and was training to be an accountant but felt she was not suited to the role. She had a change of heart and decided to become a dental nurse, taking on an apprenticeship with Thorpe Dental Group in Woodthorpe. After completing her Level 3 apprenticeship Faye is now a practicing Dental Nurse.  Achieving the apprenticeship has led to Faye securing a full-time job with the Practice.

Faye RIch - Dental - landscapeWEB

And, Chris Moore, aged32, is employed by York District Hospital as a chef.  He is a great example of how existing employees can develop themselves further in their chosen field through Apprenticeships. Chris is currently studying a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery, which he decided to take up after completing his Level 2 qualification some years ago.  He says: "I enjoy working in a small team at the hospital, cooking around 2,000 meals a day for patients in the region. I wanted to develop my skills and have the opportunity to advance my career prospects."

Chris Moore -  Apprentice Chef at York HospitalWEB

Sarah Pearson, Office Manager at 10 Squared in Pocklington fully supports apprenticeships: “We recently employed two more apprentices after successfully recruiting our first apprentice four years ago. He is now fully trained and is proving an invaluable asset to the business both now and hopefully for a long time to come.  We fully endorse the Apprenticeship programme, it offers businesses the opportunity to invest in young people, enhance skills and productivity within the workplace, and also allows you to train people in the skills pertinent to your own business requirements. York College is our first choice when it comes to finding the right apprentice for our business.  Their highly knowledgeable staff provide a seamless experience and only put forward the most suitable candidates.”

Martin Kennedy, Employer Engagement Manager at York College says: “We train record numbers of apprenticeships, all with rewarding careers ahead of them, and we work very successfully with over nearly 300 local employers to future-proof their workforce by ensuring their training needs are met. National Apprenticeship Week is the ideal time to get on-board with what’s on offer for both the prospective apprentice and the employer. I would urge anyone who wants to reap the benefits of apprenticeships to come along during this high profile week of events and celebrations.”

Listen below to York College Apprentice Emily Grimes speaking to BBC Radio York about how her Apprenticeship at York College has helped her: 

Related Links

National Apprenticeship Week Events at York College

Current Term's News