Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

7th February 2018

Mastering iconic songs by the North of England’s most successful rock and pop bands has been a labour of love for First year Extended Diploma Music students rehearsing for their forthcoming ‘Northern Tracks’ show.

Northern TracksWEB

The students, in several bands,  have learnt a selection of songs by groups from different northern cities. Music student Selina Dakin’s band is performing songs by famous Sheffield bands. As a vocalist, guitarist and pianist, she is performing songs by the Arctic Monkeys, Human League, Def Leppard and Bring Me The Horizon. Selina, formerly of Market Weighton School, says: “Ever since I could sing I’ve had a passion for music. I enjoyed music at secondary school and taught myself a few instruments to be able to carry on with my music at College. I‘m loving this course and learning so much. For this performance we have transposed some of the songs to fit our instruments, which has been insightful. I’ve also developed an interest in live sound/desk operating, which is all part of learning about performance.”

Salina DakinWEB

Bailey Mardon-Mowbray, formerly of York High School, plays bass guitar and his band is performing songs from Leeds; The Kaiser Chiefs, The Pigeon Detectives, The Cribs and The Music. He says: “These are new songs we have learnt and as we have the right instruments we can re-produce the sound accurately in performance. Before I enrolled on this course I hadn’t been in a band on this scale before and I am learning all the time. I hope to go to university to study song writing and this course is helping me so much, not only with music appreciation, but also with my performance skills.”

Bailey Mardon-MowbrayWEB

Northern Tracks promises to be an exciting, whistle stop tour of the North of England’s greatest and best rock and pop music. The show will be held at The Hive Theatre, Manor CE Academy, on 20th February and 21st February at 7.00pm. Tickets are available from the College’s Finance desk (£5.00 & £4.00 concessions).

Selina Dakin in the middleWEB

Related Link

Music Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News

Links