Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

21st January 2018

Sparks were flying when apprentice Tom Burdett was named the regional winner of the Sparks UK Apprentice of the Year competition, held in Newcastle.

Thomas Burdett - Sparks Magazine croppedWEB

Tom was entered for the North East regional heat after winning an in-house competition at York College.  In the regional heat he worked quickly, completing the complex PVC conduit and twin and earth cable work an hour early, and with only three out of the eight competitors actually finishing the work Tom’s victory was even more impressive!

Thomas Burdett - Sparks Magazine 1WEB

Tom, aged 21 and formerly of King James School, Knaresborough, has progressed from Level 1 to Level 3, firstly as a full-time Electrical student and for the last two years as an apprentice employed by Advanced Electrical Services in York.  He says: “During the competition I used the skills I’ve learnt at College and in my apprenticeship. I’m proud of myself for scoring the most points and earning a place in the national round of the competition. My employer and my tutors are pleased for me and it’s a great title to put on my CV – and it will be even better if I can win the national title in March!”

Thomas Burdett at collegeWEB

Thomas at York College

Related Link

Apprenticeships

Installation Electrical Maintenance Apprenticeship Level 3