Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

17th January 2018

Congratulations to the York College/i2i Football Development Centre on being crowned the ECFA (English Colleges Football Association) North East and Humber Cat 1 League Winners 2017, with two games to spare. Their great achievement follows on from the teams’ ECFA National Cup success last year and cements York College’s reputation as one of the best football programmes in the area.

FDC i2i team 1WEB

The teams’ focus has now turned to ensuring that they finish as’ Invincibles’ after winning 7 and only drawing 1 game during the current campaign - and with two games remaining. The team now has their sights firmly on remaining unbeaten in their upcoming games against Gateshead College and Tyne Met College respectively.

I2i Football Academy Head Coach Mikey Morton says: This season has been truly phenomenal, myself and Simon Collins didn’t think we could top last year’s success but the boys have really shown an appetite for wanting more. To win the league with games left has really sent out a statement on how well the partnership between York College and i2i has developed. We are very lucky to be working with such a great programme which allows lads to combine excellent education with first class football.”

The attention of the Football Development Centre now turns to the ECFA Play-offs which sees the top two teams from across the ECFA Cat 1 leagues compete to be crowned the overall Cat 1 champions for the 2017/18 season, Mikey Morton explains: ‘ After being disappointingly beaten in our quest to retain the ECFA National Cup we are determined to carry on our good form in the play-offs, the desire shown by the lads is really pleasing to see and makes this a real goal for the team.”

FDC i2i teamWEB

York College Sports Development Centre Coordinator, Gaz Lee is extremely proud of the team’s achievements saying: “This league success is absolutely outstanding for the students involved with the College’s Football Development Programme. The work done by the College and our partners i2i Football Academy in following up last year’s National Cup success is testament to the hard work of the coaches Mikey Morton and Simon Collins, we are excited to see the lads go on and try to win the ECFA Play-offs and bring more success to the College, furthermore increasing our sporting reputation on a National scale.”

Related Link

Sports Development Centre

If you are interested in being part of the York College Female Development Centre please contact Gaz Lee (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) to discuss more.

Current Term's News

Links