Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

11th January 2018

A Level student Charlie Procter has enjoyed a wonderful opportunity, taking on a two-day work experience at the Palace of Westminster with Sir Greg Knight, MP for East Yorkshire. 

gkandcharlieproctor1-cropped forWEB

Charlie, aged 17 from Pocklington, approached Sir Greg when he was in Pocklington during the election period to request the work experience -  he was delighted to be given the chance to see the workings of Parliament.

During his time in Westminster, Charlie helped out with Sir Greg’s day-to-day work which involved updating records, seeing behind the scenes of the Palace and discussing the issues first-time voters are most passionate about. He sat in the gallery of the House of Commons during Prime Minister’s Questions, watched a Select Committee examining the Brexit negotiations and saw a debate in Westminster Hall discussing Legal Aid.

Charlie, who studies A Levels in Modern History, Geography and Government and Politics, said, “I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Westminster and the interesting contributions I was able to make to the running of my local MP’s office. I enjoyed seeing some leading figures in today’s politics and hearing some important questions being asked of the Government. I experienced the ‘mother of all parliaments’ in its daily running, and I had the chance to gauge what a career in politics would consist of. It was such an engaging and useful experience.”

Charlie hopes to study history at university and thereafter he is interested to pursue a career in either law, business or politics.

Related Link

History (Modern) AS and A Level

Law AS and A Level

Politics AS and A Level

Current Term's News