Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

9th January 2018

Congratulations to BA Contemporary Craft student Kate Buckley who won third place in The Eleanor Worthington Prize competition for her art installation based on the theme ‘Communicative Languages through Visual Arts’.

Kate Buckley - BEST Eleanor Worthington PrizewinnerWEB

The Eleanor Worthington Prize, offered to students in the UK and Italy, is now in its 4th year. The Prize is in memory of Eleanor Worthington who was born in York in 1982 and who died in Italy in 2008. Eleanor spent the last five years of her life confined to a wheelchair, immobile, unable to speak, and only able to use her eyes and face for expression. 

Kate Buckley, aged 52, returned to education to study the Art Foundation course at York College, progressing onto the BA (Hons) Contemporary 3D Crafts degree. Now, in the 2nd year of her course, she is delighted that her winning artwork entitled ‘Not being able to speak is not the same as not having anything to say’ is worthy of the Eleanor Worthington Prize. Her mixed media installation comprising of millinery wire, 3D pen, ceramics, fabric screen printing and paper incorporates text in English and Italian, with a hidden message of ‘Talk to me, I am here, share.’

Describing her work, which will be exhibited at York St John University in the summer. Kate explains: “Being able to communicate is the most important skill we need in life. Everyone should be able to express feelings and make choices and communication isn’t just about expressing, but also about listening. Often the significance and importance of the day-to day conversations about the little things in life are overlooked in favour of politics and world events. My art became an installation around sharing a moment, taking time to share a cuppa, share the same space, face-to-face and one-to-one.”

Kate Buckley - Eleanor Worthington Prize installationWEB

In addition, Kate has another mixed media installation: ‘We Need to Talk’ (from the Hidden Messages Project) in an exhibition at the Norman Rea Gallery at the University of York, from 22nd January - 2nd Feb 2018.

Kate says: "The 3D Contemporary Craft degree has been great - the expertise and workshops at the College, and learning about the business side of making a living from my craft, is exactly what I was looking for. I am very grateful for the support I have received from my course tutor and I look forward to developing my work as a designer/maker in the future."

Related Link

BA (Hons) Contemporary Craft

END

Current Term's News