Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

7th April 2017

The tales of Beatrix Potter has inspired the final year performance from Extended Diploma Dance students at York College.

Savage Whiskers 2WEB

Savage Whiskers’, a production based on themes from the tales of Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Flopsy Bunnies, The Tailor of Gloucester, Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, Squirrel Nutkin, Tom Kitten, Jemima Puddle-Duck and Mr. Jeremy Fisher, is an adaptation - in physical form, featuring a variety of dance styles including swing, ballet, contemporary, circus acrobatics and tap.

Savage Whiskers WEB3

On leaving York College this summer, every student in this talented year group of fourteen students, will progress to impressive dance destinations including: Ballet Rambert, Urdance, MGA, Stella Mann, Urdang and the Institute of Performing Arts in Barcelona, to further their ambitions.

Savage Whiskers WEB4

Eloise Sellers (formerly of Lady Lumley’s School, Pickering) says of the performance: “It has been really interesting to interpret the various animalistic themes of Beatrix Potter’s tales to highlight hidden messages that the audience may not have previously considered. I’ve really enjoyed this course, it has enabled me to develop my technique in different dance genres and to become a more confident singer - something which helped in my auditions. I have also enjoyed the performance and workshop opportunities in London, at ‘Move It 2017’ and Pineapple Studios, as well as participating in an aerial workshop and classes with different choreographers. It’s great to be offered places at LIPA and Stella Mann, to have a recall for the London Studio Centre, and to have an amazing opportunity to study a BA (Hons) Dance at The Institute of Performing Arts in Barcelona.”

Savage Whiskers WEB1

Hannah Kersley (formerly of Sherburn High School) appreciates the wealth of dance training and support she has received at York College, saying: “I have trained predominantly in ballet, contemporary, jazz and acrobatics but opened myself up to new styles of dance such as commercial and street dance whilst at York College. I’m really looking forward to our ‘Savage Whiskers’ performance, it will showcases the whole class’ talents - from a Jemima Puddle Duck ballet to a Squirrel Nutkin tap dance. In the future, I’m looking forward to interpreting music with new and fresh choreography whilst continuing to further my dancing career. I’ve applied to study a BA (Hons) Dance and have received offers from four universities as well as a recall at LIPA.”

Performances of Savage Whiskers, in the College's Alan Ayckbourn Theatre, are on Wednesday 3rd & Thursday 4th May (2.00pm and 7.00pm).  Tickets are available from the College's Finance Office on 01904 770495.

Related Link:

Dance Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News