Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

29th March 2017

Seven Foundation Diploma Art & Design (Post Level 3) students have received offers from prestigious Art Schools including Chelsea and Edinburgh.

Group WEB

Louise Dearing, previously of Harrogate Grammar, has been offered a place to study Fine Art at Chelsea College of Art, she says: “I definitely wouldn’t have got into Chelsea College of Art if I hadn’t done this course. The tutors push you to do things out of your comfort zone. To study at university level you need to be unique and have your own style which is something I’ve been able to develop. The Foundation course has pushed me to make my own work in my own way and has encouraged me to work on my own. For my final project I have been inspired by the different subjective and objective aspects of ‘self’ and how people can be perceived differently.”

Louise Dearing WEB

Katy Elliott, formerly of Archbishop Holgate's, has also been offered a place at Chelsea College of Art to study Fine Art and says: “I chose to study at York College as it’s a more convenient location for me and it offers trips to Barcelona and London unlike other colleges. My work is influenced by protests and conflicts and is politically themed.”

Katy Elliott WEB

Rebecca Raper, formerly of Northallerton College, has been offered a place to study Textiles at Edinburgh College of Art. She says of the course: “The tutors have been great; they want you to make mistakes in order to learn from them. I’m really looking forward to going to Edinburgh College of Art as I now have a more informed plan. My current project is inspired by shop window displays and how domestic objects and furniture can be used to look out of the ordinary.”

Rebecca Raper WEB

Peter Cotton, formerly of Norton College, has gained a place at University College London to study Architecture. In preparation for university study, Peter has been looking at contemporary sculpture and says: “I knew I wanted to do something design based; work on a large scale and affect people’s lives. I’m really looking forward to studying at UCL as it is the most conceptual, art-based architecture school and is really cutting-edge.”

Peter Cotton WEB

James Dean, formerly of Snaith School, whose work is inspired by comic books and films has been offered a place to study Illustration Animation at Kingston University. He says of the course: “I studied my A Levels at York College so knew they had good resources and I wanted to feel comfortable in order to develop my skills. From the first day it was so welcoming and I was completely encouraged to do my own work and develop my own thoughts and ideas.”

James Dean WEB

Paige Mainprize, formerly of Scarborough Sixth Form, who is currently working on an abstract army of women, and Alice Horgan, formerly of Garforth Academy, who is currently building a treehouse for gender non-conformists, have both been offered places at Central St Martins to study Fine Art.

Paige Mainprize  Alice Horgan WEB

Angela Newdick, Course Leader for the Foundation Diploma says: “We are really proud of all of our students’ successes this year on the Foundation Diploma. Year on year our students receive offers at many of the top destinations to study art and design and this year is no exception. These students in particular have beaten hundreds of other students to gain places on these very prestigious and highly selective courses”.

Related Link:

Art & Design Foundation Diploma (Post Level 3)

Current Term's News