Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

16th March 2017

Former A Level student Jade Cuttle, now in her fourth and final year at the University of Cambridge, studying Modern and Medieval Languages, is a BBC Introducing poetic-folk songwriter about to record her first album, and her forthcoming single ‘Leaves and Lovers’ has debuted live on the BBC. 

Jade Cuttle 4WEB

After winning 1st place in the BBC Proms Poetry Competition in 2014, Jade began translating her poems into songs. She has performed her poetry and songs, inspired by the wisdom and resilience of nature, live on BBC Radio 3 and across the BBC Introducing platform. Her lyrics and work has been commissioned for BBC podcasts such as celebrating Shakespeare's 400th, and the BBC Proms Official Guide.

Whilst at the University of Cambridge Jade has completed internships with BBC Arts - Television (BBC Two’s Artsnight, BBC One's The One Show and BBC Four's Secret Cities - a new program to be broadcast this spring). Jade says: “As well as discovering unexpected aspects of some iconic works of art, architecture, literature and performance, the series focuses on some of the hidden artistic and cultural treasures that most visitors would never know about in three beautiful cities." Jade is also considering a career in journalism and has written articles for The Observer, The Guardian, The Times and The Sunday Times.

Jade Cuttle 2WEB

Formerly of Barlby High School, Jade studied A Level French, English Literature, English Language and Maths at York College, achieving fantastic results. She says: “Studying A Levels at York College was inspiring. I am grateful to my College tutors, they were so supportive and gave me the ambition to progress to Cambridge University. Their influence has paid off - it took a lot of confidence to put myself forward for BBC Introducing, a platform open to all UK unsigned musicians, and I have gained so much experience working at my internships. With my graduation looming I am considering a range of things. The BBC has an excellent television production course, building on the kind of things I was doing for the internship, and I have applied to stay on at Cambridge for post-graduate study – to become a Master of Philosophy!”

York College is holding an Aiming High event on Tuesday 4th April for prospective students in Years 10 and 11, and their parents, to find out more about applying for Oxford, Cambridge, or other highly competitive university destinations. There is no need to book, simply arrive at 6.30pm for a 7.00pm start.

Related Links:

A Level Faculty

Aiming High

Current Term's News