Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

15th March 2017

Whilst on a trip to London, final year dance students from York College absorbed themselves in the world of dance at ‘Move It’, the largest dance convention in the UK. The students took part in several dance workshops and entered a competition which culminated in their very own showcase performance at London’s ExCel. The icing on the cake was watching the inspirational West End production ‘Aladdin’, which filled them with excitement about their own bright futures in the performing arts industry.

Move It Dance WEB

Eighteen year old dance students Phoebe Tomlinson and Laura Woodcock, both formerly of Easingwold School, explained: “Following our visit to 'Move It' last year, we entered the competition to perform at the event this year. We were up against many other dance schools from the UK and abroad so we did really well to be selected. It was amazing to perform in front of such an informed crowd. We also enjoyed taking part in dance workshops and walking around the dance school exhibits, many of them commercial, they opened our eyes to what it would be like when we move onto the next stage of our careers. We were also able to grasp the extent of the opportunities available to us in the future.”

Move It Dance WEB2

Phoebe has successfully gained a place at the prestigious Ballet Rambert next year. She says: “Even though I was trained in classical ballet and contemporary dance before coming to College, I have learnt many other dance styles such as jazz, commercial and circus, as well as choreography - which is a big part of Ballet Rambert’s training, so I am grateful for everything I have learnt at York College. Performing at ‘Move It’ has been one of the many highlights of performing with my fellow York College dance students.”

Laura Woodcock is going to Barcelona next year to study a one year intensive performing arts course. She says: “I knew straightaway that I wanted to go there. It looks like a great place to further my studies and the experience will give me a whole new dimension to my dancing career. Having the opportunity to go to events like ‘Move It’ helps to widen our horizons and takes us out of our own little bubble. In London especially you realise there are loads of great dancers competing for work in the industry, and it’s good to have that kind of reality check.”

Dance tutor Emma Fawcett said: “We attend 'Move It' every year, and it was wonderful to perform there for the first time. The group have worked so hard preparing for their performance, as well as their dance school auditions. I am very proud of the second year dancers and their achievements, they have gained places at dance schools such as Urdang, Rambert, Addict and Barcelona which is a testament to their hard work over the past two years.”

Related Link:

Dance Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News