Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

9th March 2017

Inspired by the theme of 'Yorkshire', York College Professional Cookery student Zacharias Abbott served up juniper-rolled Yorkshire venison with fondant potatoes, carrot, parsnip, rhubarb and ginger with a port and cranberry sauce, to secure his place in the final of the prestigious Gold Apron 2017 competition.

Golden Apron ZachWEB

The Golden Apron, sponsored by Asda and run by Michelin-starred chef James Mackenzie of the Pipe and Glass in Dalton, in partnership with the Yorkshire Wolds Cookery School and farming company JSR, inspires young chefs aged 14 – 19, to cook a Yorkshire themed dish in two hours, with a budget of just £10. Competitors were also challenged by James Mackenzie to whip up a pudding of apple and rhubarb crumble with spiced ginger custard.

GoldenAprondishWEB

Zacharias, aged 17 and formerly of Archbishop Holgate’s School, said: “From being young I wanted to cook - there’s nothing else I want to do. Studying Level 2 Professional Cookery at York College, working at Mr P’s Curious Tavern and at Middlethorpe Hall, has taught me so much. I have entered this competition for the last two years, so it’s third time lucky for me. I made it to the final of the Golden Apron last year, so hopefully this time I could win.”

GoldenAprondish1WEB

Talking about the finalists, James said: “We saw so much creativity at the semi-finals – there’s some great potential for the future of the industry here. At such a young age, I would never have been able to cook like these guys – so much talent!”

Zach and JamesWEB

Zacharias will join two other young chefs (Joseph Lees from Whitby and Adam Rothery from Anlaby) in the grand final of the competition on 20th March when he will work alongside James Mackenzie, cooking 70 covers for a gala dinner at his Pipe and Glass restaurant.

Related Link:

NVQ Professional Cookery Diploma Level 2

Current Term's News