Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

20th February 2017

Ranked 4th in the country for powerlifting (Under 23s) and holding the Yorkshire & North East squat record (for all ages), makes York College student Ben Wharton a force to be reckoned with.

Ben Wharton BSc Hons Sports TherapyWEB

Ben (aged 20) from Hovingham, is currently studying a two year Foundation Degree in Sports Therapy which will enable him to top up to a BSc (Hons) degree in one year. He explains: “Sport is my passion and personal training is a big part of my life. At school I broke three shot put records and an Under 17s district record. Then, after realising I didn’t carry enough weight to continue with the sport, I put my energies into powerlifting. My training has obviously paid off and I’m proud to have performed so well nationally at such a young age.”

Ben powerliftingWEB

Whilst carrying out a rigorous fitness regime Ben also manages to study and hold down a part-time job. He says: “The Sports Therapy course at York College is validated by York St John University and it only takes up two days a week, plus the College’s tuition fees are cheaper than at most universities. The best thing is the teaching; I’m learning all about injury prevention, skeletal and muscular anatomy, strengthening and conditioning and sports massage – all of this really helps with my own sporting performance. I particularly like putting theory into practice in the College’s Sports Therapy Clinic where I help clients with their bespoke sports injuries. It’s a great course which can lead to all manner of jobs in sport; physiotherapy, coaching, sports therapy and working with sports teams.”

Related Link

Foundation Degree Sports Therapy

BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy

Current Term's News