Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

14th February 2017

First Year Extended Diploma Dance students at York College gave an expressive and emotive performance based on the idea of Displacement.

Displacement WEB1

Capturing the feeling of being displaced in life through personal circumstances at home or in society, the students portrayed many emotions through different dance styles including ballet, contemporary, physical theatre and circus acrobatics. Their thought-provoking performance explored a wide range of topics from sexuality and grooming to immigration and natural disaster.

Displacement WEB2

Jess Arnold, formerly of Scalby School in Scarborough, said: “The initial theme of displacement was very interesting and allowed us to convey deeper topics metaphorically through dance. I’ve really enjoyed working on this performance as our tutors are very motivational and all the class help to support each other’s strengths and weaknesses. In the future, I’d like to become a well-established choreographer and hopefully study a BA (Hons) in Dance and Choreography at university.”

Displacement WEB4

Georgia Moore, formerly of Queen Mary’s School, said of the performance: “Displacement has been an interesting topic as some of the issues are hard to convey but we have been able to put our own personal slant on the dances and independently interpret emotion. I would love to have a career in performing arts on television in the future and will hopefully study a degree at university after completing my study at York College.”

Displacement WEB3

Dance Tutor Emma Fawcett said: “The students worked really hard to research the various sensitive displacement themes such as fostering and LGBT rights, before trying to interpret these through dance. This performance has really helped the students to, not only improve their dance technique, but their performance skills and ability to convey emotions to an audience.”

Related Link:

Level 3 Extended Diploma Dance

Current Term's News