Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

2nd February 2017

First year Music students studying Level 2 & 3 Extended Diploma courses have worked together to re-create the music of the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s in a performance of Decades. Playing in bands, the students mastered hits from Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Sex Pistols, Fleetwood Mac, The Jackson 5, Blondie, Bowie, Nirvana, Oasis, recreating popular soundtracks from the different eras.

BEST DecadesWEB

Beat It by Michael Jackson, Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust and Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones are firm favourites amongst the students. Vocalist Adele Rolf, formerly of Huntington School, said: “It was a challenge to perform the songs and to do them justice. In performance situations like this everything we learn on the course is useful; theory, performance, live sound and recording.”

Decades 4WEB

Guitarist Tom Cole, formerly of Queen Ethelburgas School, recommends studying Music at York College. He says: “The courses are really good for people who are passionate about music. For this concert I enjoyed learning and performing my favourite song; All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix - it’s a classic song. I also chose to perform songs from Oasis, The Smiths and The Sex Pistols. It’s been great fun reproducing the music and playing to an appreciative audience.”

Decades 2WEB

Rebekah McGinlay, formerly of Ryedale School, first studied A Levels and decided to switch to study the vocational Level 3 Music course. She says: "I prefer to focus on the one subject I love and that’s music. I am a vocalist and guitarist and in this concert I played bass guitar. Learning the iconic bass line to Queen’s Another One Bites the Dust was a must!”

Decades 3WEB

Music tutor Rachel Davies said: “The students have thought about music history and focussed on how to use specific instruments, techniques and costumes to recreate authentic versions of original songs. It was an enjoyable learning experience for them all which ended in a great all-round final performance."

Related Links

Music Extended Diploma Level 3

Music Performance and Production Diploma Level 2

Current Term's News