Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

1st February 2017

York College Bricklaying apprentice Thomas Macdonald has returned from a two week training session in Denmark where he worked alongside the Danish bricklaying national finalists as they prepared for their own national competition. 

Thomas WorldSkills WEB3

The trip was part of Thomas’ WorldSkills UK squad training, exposing him to a useful international pressure test. The experience was an attempt to recreate the pressured environment Tom will have to cope with if he is successful in winning a place in Team UK to represent Great Britain at WorldSkills in Abu Dhabi 2017.

Thomas WorldSkills WEB2

Thomas, aged 20, formerly of Huntington School, is a CITB bricklaying apprentice at Woodhouse & Barry Construction in Sheriff Hutton. He said: “It was a superb experience - I learnt so much during the time I was there. I actually achieved my best score in training too, it’s a big positive going forward! I’ll continue training in the hope that I will be able to represent Team UK at WorldSkills in Abu Dhabi.”

Thomas WorldSkills WEB1

Said Mike Burdett, World Skills Training Manager and York College Bricklaying tutor: “The Danes have enjoyed high levels of success in past Worldskills competitions and to compete against their best trainees was a great experience for Thomas. Even though he was not competing, he was marked by the Danish experts and managed to perform well. I thought he did particularly well because he didn’t have his full tool kit with him and hadn’t seen the project until he arrived, whereas the Danish competitors had built the project several times before the event.”

Related Link:

Trowel Occupations (Bricklaying) Apprenticeship

Current Term's News