Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

3rd January 2017 

Congratulations to CSkills Stonemasonry apprentice Peter Cross on winning the Trainee Mason of the Year Award 2016 at the prestigious Stone Federation Natural Stone Awards, held at the Grange Tower Bridge Hotel in London.

Peter Cross and Tommy WalshWEB

Peter, aged 17, studies Level 2 Stonemasonry at York College and was nominated for the award by his employer Croft Building & Conservation in Cannock, Staffordshire. The Award, presented by TV celebrity builder Tommy Walsh, was given to the apprentice who has shown most promise, commitment, consistency and an exceptionally high standard of work since commencing training. 

Peter was overwhelmed to win the title, he said: “I like the idea of turning a block of stone into work that is used on a building and looks aesthetically pleasing. I enjoy the challenge of learning a difficult trade and being involved in a team that creates stonework for buildings, the work will be enjoyed for hundreds of years. 

“I couldn’t believe I had been nominated for this Award. It was fantastic to go to London and attend such a prestigious event. I really enjoy my work and studies and I feel lucky to have a supportive employer and great tutors at York College, they are the real experts and I am learning so much from them.”

PeterCrossWEB

Marian Davies, Director of Croft Building and Conservation said: “Peter was given the opportunity to complete two weeks work experience prior to his apprentice job offer with us. From day one he showed great discipline and accuracy, completing pieces worthy of inclusion in projects from the first week of his apprenticeship. He is always listening and enthusiastic, striving for perfection. Aged just 17, his work is admired by his peers. He will be a real asset to the industry in the years to come.”

Peter Cross1WEB

Paul Hill, Stonemasonry tutor at York College said: “Peter is a very good student with a fantastic work ethic. He thoroughly deserves this Award and I am delighted that his hard work has been recognised nationally by the Stone Federation.”

Related Link

Stonemasonry Apprenticeship

Current Term's News