York College

8-8-16-1

8-8-16-2

8-8-16-3

20th October 2016

A Level Photography students, in the final year of their studies, exhibited work in the College’s Gallery space for others to comment on their personal investigations. Having the opportunity to share their photography with others, and gain feedback, helps with their individual practical developments.

Lucy - photography exhib1WEB

Photography student Lucy Bennett, formerly of Sherburn High School, explores her interest in people through the camera lens. She says: “I like to observe people. I love how characters from all walks of life can interact with the camera. The excellent photography resources available to us in College have allowed me to develop my skills to another level and I'm excited to study the subject further at university.”

Elliot - photography exhib1WEB

Elliot Scarlett-Abbott, formerly of Bootham School, hopes to study advertising or marketing at university.  He says: “Understanding the difference between a view and a photograph, with no limitation on time or space, and devising abstract work (as opposed to taking straight photographs), is really interesting and involves a lot of work. There is plenty of scope for us to exhibit our work around College, which generates feedback from others. We also have great support from our tutor who has worked in the industry and is an expert in the field.”

Photography tutor Tom Rodgers says: “Using a real space that is separate from the students’ normal working conditions forces them to question their work and see it from the perspective of an audience. All of the students have made excellent work and have a strong direction to take their projects forward.”

Both Lucy and Elliot study the same A Level subjects: Photography, Media Studies and English Language.  Lucy says: "The subjects combine really well and at College there is a more mature approach to learning, which I enjoy.  It's a very inclusive learning environment which I think is good preparation for university."

Related Link

AS & A Level Art & Design (Photography)

Current Term's News