Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

30th June 2016

The Company of Merchant Taylors continues to support York College students who study arts-related courses by awarding Creative Bursaries to deserving individuals, helping them to further develop their talents and achieve their ambitions.

Creative Bursaries 2016WEB

Dr Robert Porter, Master of the Company of Merchant Taylors, visited the College to present Creative Bursaries to ten specially nominated students who have completed studies in either Music, Media and Performing Arts, Art, Design & Craft or Construction. Each student was awarded a £200 bursary to help them further their skills and progress onto the next stage of their careers.

This year the following students were awarded a Creative Bursary by the Company of Merchant Taylors:

Art, Design & Craft

Joseph Acaster
Nikita Farrington
Will Penn
Yasmin Metcalfe
Billie Wilson

Music, Media and Performing Arts

Tom Ansell
BethanyAnne Middleton
Josh Longden

Construction

Karl Sierevogel
Robert Clark

Nikita Farrington studied the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design at York College and will progress to Chelsea College of Art in September.  She said: "I  have loved studying at York College and will be sad to leave.  I'm very touched that my tutors nominated me for the Creative Bursary - it means a lot. The Bursary will be useful when I start my higher education studies in London - it will be expensive.  I would like to thank the Company of Merchant Taylors for their encouragement."

Extended Diploma Design Craft student Joseph Acaster is delighted to be awarded one of the Creative Bursaries.  He said:"I was shocked to hear that I had been chosen for the Bursary and I''d like to thank the Company of Merchant Taylors for their support.  I am staying on at York College to study the BA (Hons) Contemporary Craft course as I have been very impressed with the art & design department here.  The facilities and the tutors are so experienced and helpful.  This Bursary will allow me to buy materials and tools to help me to develop my work." 

Dr Robert Porter, Master of The Company of Merchant Taylors said: “The Company of Merchant Taylors is constantly astonished by the remarkable talent displayed by students at York College and this year’s bursary recipients deserve recognition for their ingenuity and hard work. Their creative skills have been encouraged and developed by their tutors who likewise deserve a pat on the back. The students have secured places at prestigious establishments such as Chelsea College of Art, Leeds College of Music, Goldsmith’s College London, The University of Cumbria , some are staying at York College to study at degree level, and a stonemasonry student is hoping to secure an apprenticeship at York Minster, or similar. Wherever they go we want them to make the most of their creative talents and enjoy the wonderful opportunities that await them."

Alison Birkinshaw, Principal of York College commented: "We are delighted to have such a strong association with The Company of Merchant Taylors and are extremely grateful to them for their continued support. The Creative Bursaries will help these very deserving students as they progress in the next stage of their studies and embark on exciting careers in the creative arts industries.”

Related Links

Art & Design

Media, Music and Performing Arts

Construction

Current Term's News

Links