Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

10th May 2016

Ellie Watson dedicates all her time to music and wants a career in performance. Alongside her music studies at York College she has spent the last few months rehearsing and competing in National and European brass band competitions.

Ellie Watson L3WEB

Music is most certainly a lifestyle for Ellie as she currently plays in three bands; Elland Silver Youth Band, Knottingley Silver Band and the National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain. The local, national and European contests took place in the first half of the academic year and her tutors accommodated her attendance at rehearsals and the competitions themselves. Ellie says: “My tutors understood how important the competitions were to me and made sure I was able to catch up with my college work. It was fantastic to compete at such a high level and the icing on the cake was coming first in the Youth Band Nationals and second in the Action Medical Research Youth Entertainment Championships of Great Britain”

Playing a classical instrument – the Tenor Horn in local and national brass bands, and the Cornet at College – Ellie, formerly of Selby High School, came to College to study a popular music course; Extended Diploma in Music (Level 3). Wanting to broaden her musical abilities and experience, she has learnt how to operate a mixing desk, compose and record popular music. Ellie says: “I have got more out of the course than I expected as tutors supported me to get up to the same level as everyone else on the elements I hadn’t studied before. A definite highlight has been all the performances we do. Getting on stage knowing we’ve worked hard to entertain people.”

Having started playing the Cornet at school in Year 6 Ellie then moved on to the Tenor Horn. She says: “Music and playing in a band is in the blood. I’ve grown up with it from when my Dad played the same instrument in a band. I would go and watch him play and now I sit next to the same solo Horn player that my Dad did when he was in the band.”

Ellie’s long term goal is to have a film music career, working on film music scores, or to play in a Forces band and then teach. Her next step though is to study Classical Music Performance, for which she has accepted an offer from the Royal Northern College of Music. With offers also from two other conservatoires she says: “It’s been a dream of mine to go to the Royal Northern College of Music for several years. I know older people who have been there and they have said how good it is. I worked hard for my audition and interview and really want to go there.”

The Music department would like to wish Ellie all the best in her studies and future career in Music.

Related Link

Music Extended Diploma Level 3

Current Term's News

Links